Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Steak - Sicilian Style!

I love going to Italian restaurants and ordering a steak (bistecca), smothered with a wonderful sauce.  The problem with this is that it can get expensive!  If you want a restaurant quality steak you can do it yourself for half the cost!


Here are the ingredients:

4 strip steaks (or whatever steak you like)
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups chicken broth
The juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper

Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet.  I like to use my cast iron skillet for steak!  While that is heating up, salt and pepper your steak and dredge it in bread crumbs.

 Make sure your skillet is very hot.  Sear the steak, cooking to the temperature you desire.  I like a nice medium rare steak so I seared my steak for 3 minute on each side.  Be careful not to burn the bread crumbs.


When the steak is cooked to your liking remove it from the pan and let it rest.  Add the mushrooms to the same skillet and cook until softened.  Add salt, pepper and flour.  Stir the flour into the mushrooms. 

Slowly add the wine.  At this point the flour should bind with the liquid, making a thick roux.  Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring as you go.  When the sauce it to the desired thickness, add the lemon juice and salt and pepper.

Pour the sauce over the steak.  I sprinkled mine with a little fresh parsley and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  I served this with a simple pasta with butter, oil and garlic.  Here is the recipe for the pasta:

http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2012/11/pasta-with-butter-oil-and-garlic.html


Mangia!


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful dish to make. I do love it with mashed potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!