Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Amalgamation Cake

Pin It



Some of you are saying, "What?"  That is what I said too!  Last month I was fortunate to be able to spend some time with my colleague and friend, Becky Voyles.  Becky and I drove down to Florida.  We spent a lot of time in the car and I enjoyed listening to her stories, wisdom and love of her family.

I consider my life blessed to know and love Becky.  She is the most giving person I have every met-always thinking of others and trying to live her life the way God intended for her to.  She is a kind spirit and I appreciate her thoughts, opinions and I love the way she always tells me the truth.


Becky told me about a cake that her grandmother would make every Christmas-Amalgamation Cake.  Here are the ingredients:

For the cake-
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup raisins
2 cups blackberry jam
2 cups coconut
4 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 eggs, separated

For the filling-
10 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 cup raisins, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups chopped nuts

Cake-Cream the butter and sugar together.  Beat in the egg yolks.  Add the jam, milk, raisins and coconut.  Mix.  Sift the flour, baking soda and spices.


Add that into the batter.  Whip the egg whites until they start to stiffen.  Fold that into the cake batter.


Put the batter into 5-6 cake pans, thin layers.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 13-15 minutes or until the cake comes back clean when sticking a toothpick in the center.



 While the cake is cooking start making the filling.  Pour all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook until it starts to thicken up.  It should cook up and be the consistency of jam.

Put this in between each layer.



Pour the remaining filling on the top.



OK, I know that I need to take photography classes.  This picture does not do the cake justice.  It was moist and full of flavor!

Thanks Becky for sharing this with me!

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Pretty blog and this cake looks delish !! I blog over @ http://cindylivingclean.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother used to make this cake. I remember one Christmas, there wasn't room in the refrigerator to store the cake, so she put it in a little storage area that was usually quite cool. Well, this Christmas turned out to be unusually warm and she had to keep running into the storage room to put the icing back on the cake, as the warm weather made it run off the sides. The cake was delicious when we finally got to taste it, but we have laughed about this for years. Whenever I think of the Christmas Cake of Amalgamation, this is my fondest memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother and I used to make these cakes at Christmas. It was always a fond memory for me especially beings she's passed away now. I get one of the Cakes by myself for my birthday because 9 days before Christmas. And these cakes are delicious. Not a lot of people have even heard of these cakes much less know how to make them. I appreciate the share of the recipes they bring back memories for me just to even read them. Thank you, God bless and happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!