Friday, August 3, 2012

Aunt Lily's Moon Cake

Pin It
I have been on a quest, gathering old family recipes.  Thanks to cousin Jo Agrusa for sharing this recipe from my Aunt Lily.


Dad, Aunt Lily and Uncle Vince


Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup margarine
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 egg whites
1/2 cup crushed walnuts


The first thing I did was separate the yolk/whites from 5 eggs.


Don't look too close- I broke one of my yolks!

In my Kitchen Aid mixer (LOVE), mix the sugar, butter, margarine, egg yolks and vanilla.  Beat until combined.  Add flour and baking powder.


Transfer that to another bowl.  Clean out your mixer bowl and switch attachments so you can whip the egg whites.

The egg whites need to be whipped, on high speed, until stiff peaks form.

See how the egg whites "stick" to the attachment?

Next, fold the egg white mixture into the batter.  Spread the batter in a shallow rectangle pan.  Sprinkle crushed walnuts and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


Here is where is got tricky for me.  Cousin Jo said that Aunt Lily used to take a shot glass and cut crescent shapes into the cake..........hard for me to visualize but I did my best!  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and you are ready to eat!

Notice the angle of the camera doesn't allow you to see if I cut it correctly!


This cake is light and fluffy.  It isn't too sweet - just right!  Thanks Cousin Jo for sharing this recipe!



Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!