Sunday, August 5, 2012

Aunt Trudy's Refrigerator Pan Rolls

Pin It

My Aunt Trudy lives in California.  Although I don't get to see Aunt Trudy very often, I have some great memories.  She is a feisty woman!  I remember one time we were in Oregon at my Aunt Hazel's farm.  We were picking blackberries or some kind of berry.  As we were picking, Aunt Trudy looked up and there was a snake staring right at her!  Needless to say, some of her feisty-ness came out that day!


Aunt Trudy shared this recipe with me for the blog.  As I type, I am eating one of these fabulous rolls!  This roll is fluffy and mmmm, mmmmm good.  I slathered mine with butter and am loving it!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages dry yeast
6-6 1/2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 stick butter
1 egg
melted butter

In my Kitchen Aid mixing bowl I added the sugar, salt, yeast and 2 1/4 cups flour.  I gave that a stir to mix all of the ingredients.  In a Pyrex bowl measure out 2 cups hot water.  I put the stick of butter in the measuring cup and stuck it in the microwave to heat it up.  The butter doesn't have to melt all the way but the water should be hot.

Slowly add the water/butter mixture to the flour mixture.  Beat well - add the egg.  Slowly add the flour, a 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough forms onto the dough hook and the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.


Knead everything for about 10 minutes.  Remove the dough from the bowl.  Form the dough into a ball and let it rise in a warm place until double in size.  Punch down the dough.  Spray a large plastic Ziploc bag and put the dough in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  If you leave it overnight, you will need to punch the dough down a few times.

About 3 hours before you are ready to cook the rolls, let the dough come to room temperature.  Cut the dough into 30 different pieces and form into rolls.  Place in buttered dish and let rise until double.


Bake at 400 degrees for 15 -20 minutes.  Brush rolls with melted butter and serve.



Thanks Aunt Trudy for this great recipe!  These might be the best rolls I've ever eaten!

Aunt Trudy with my great nephew Callahan


Enjoy!  This recipe is featured on Lady Behind the Curtain!

3 comments:

  1. oh man those look great! pinned because I want them now.
    Thanks for sharing at Swap N Share Sunday
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look great! I will have to save the recipe for the next time I need yummy rolls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good-looking! I really want to try this! I need to learn how to make fabulous rolls.

    Sharon
    http://makeitorfixit.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!