Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Italian Sesame Cookies

Pin It
Every time I visited my Nonna's house she had these sesame cookies.  Of course, she always had chocolate cookies, pasta, pizza and everything else I can imagine.  She was always saying, "Mangia, Mangia."  There was always food on the table at my Nonna's.  You never went hungry over there!

Nonnu, Nonna and I - October, 1970
 
I recently came across this photo and I love it!  My Aunt Lily is in the background.
 
 
The ingredients for the sesame cookies are:
 
 
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
3 eggs
3/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
sesame seeds
 
Optional - Anise - Italians love Anise!  If you like it, add a little into the mix (1/2 teaspoon ground anise).
 
To begin, mix the shortening and sugar together.  Add in the eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and flour.
 
 
 
On a floured surface, roll a piece of dough into a snake-like rope
 
 


 
 
Cut the rope into pieces - about 1 1/2 inches long.  Dip into milk and then sesame seeds.
 
 
 
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-14 minutes.  Take caution - if you over cook these cookies they will be hard as a rock!  You want them to remain soft so make sure they don't cook too long.  If they are starting to brown, they have been in too long.
 
These cookies aren't too sweet and are a staple in an Italian household.
 
 
 
Mangia!
 
 



3 comments:

  1. I love sesame seeds! I've pinned you in my blogs so I remember to come back. This seems like a really interesting site. I did a post on my Great-Grandmother's poppy seed torte awhile back and really enjoyed talking to Granny and Mom and this blog seems like you do that all the time. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day! I LOVE foods that have childhood stories behind them! These remind me of my childhood too! Thank you!
    Cheers! Joanne
    What's On The List?
    http://www.whatsonthelist.net
    Foodie Friends Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these cookies. I remember my grandmother baking them every year for Christmas. Thank you for linking up with Foodie Friends Friday. I am sharing them on my Walking on Sunshine Facebook page this morning! Please come back to vote on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!