Sunday, December 2, 2012

Persimmon Cookies

Pin It
I love these cookies!  This cookie is not something that you normally find when you go to a Christmas party.  My mother would make these cookies every year and I loved them.  They are sweet and spicy!  I always thought that this recipe was from my Great Aunt Hazel, but my mom told me today that the recipe actually came from the woman I was named after.

I met her once on a visit to San Jose, CA.  She was friends with my Nana and Grand Pee Paw.  I was 10 or so when I met her.  I remember she had this big jet black hair and always had a smile on her face.  My mom told me that Jackie didn't have children so she took my mom under her wing.  My mom spent a lot of time with Jackie growing up.

A persimmon is not a readily available fruit.  Most of us do not go to the store to buy persimmons so that we can eat them.  When I decided to make these cookies, I had no idea what to do with these little orange pieces of fruit.

When in doubt - call mom!  Mom told me to cut the persimmons in half, and scoop out the seeds.  The persimmons that I had did not have very many seeds so it was easy!  I was then able to scoop the pulp out.

Here are the ingredients for the cookies:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups flour
1 egg
1 cup persimmon pulp
1 cup raisins
1 cup nuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg

To begin, take the pulp and put it in your food processor.  Add the baking soda and egg.


With your mixer, cream the shortening and sugar together.


In a large bowl, add flour, spices, nuts and raisins.


Add the persimmon mixture to the shortening and sugar.  Mix that well.  Slowly add the flour mixture.  If you are using a Kitchen Aid mixer, use the paddle so that the nuts and raisins do not get pulverized.  If you do not have a mixer with a paddle, simply stir in the flour mixture.

Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for 13-15 minutes.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!