Saturday, February 23, 2013

Onion Straws

Pin It

I love all things onion:  onion soup, onion rings, onions on my hamburger.  I could go on and on, like Bubba on Forrest Gump.

For tonight's dinner I wanted to cook a thick, juicy steak.  I love sauteed mushrooms on my steak, but tonight, I wanted something different.  ONION STRAWS.

This was so easy.  Here are the ingredients:

Onion, sliced very thin
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Oil

To begin, slice your onion very thin.  I am lucky to have a mandolin so I was able to slice the onion before I started crying!

Soak the onions in the buttermilk.






In a large pot, heat oil to 350 degrees.  In the meantime, take the flour and add salt, pepper and a little cayenne pepper. 

When the oil is hot, take the onions, shake off the buttermilk and dredge in the flour.





Fry in the oil until golden brown.



Enjoy!

The Chicken Chick

3 comments:

  1. I love these. Thank you for the recipe. I only saw them at a restaurant,I think Applebees. Thank you again.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/?s=french+onion+soup+grilled+cheese+sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love onions here too... I am going to have to try these. Pinning them. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope you join us again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also made Onions straws for this months reveal, they were divine. Thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes! I had fun going through your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!