Sunday, July 29, 2012

Can Corn

Pin It
OK, my obsession with canning continues..................today's adventure was corn!  Canning corn is super easy and much cheaper than buying cans.  One of the best tools that I bought was a corn shucker.  It cost about $10 at Target.



All you have to do is shuck the corn and scrape this tool along the cob.  The kernels fall off very easily but it is a little messy.


Corn is a low acid food so it needs to be processed in a canner.  To do this add 3 quarts of boiling water to your canner.  Have a separate pot of boiling water going as well.  To sterilize my canning jars, I put them in the dishwasher.  This does two things: sterilizes them and heats them so that the hot water will not crack the jars.

When the jars are hot, add your corn, 1/4 teaspoon canning salt, and boiling water.  Leave 1 inch head space before putting on your lid.  Heat your rim and lids in the boiling water.  Wipe the jar lids off and place the lids on. 

Place the jars in the canner and secure the lid.  Processing time starts when the weight starts rocking back and forth.  I used 1/2 pint jars and processed them for 40 minutes.

I used the 1/2 pint jars because only 2-3 of us eat at a time.  Most people use pints or even quart jars.
I paid .33 cents per ear of corn and it made 10 jars.  This means that each jar cost me .39 cents per jar.  This is cheaper than the grocery store and just think how cheap it would be if you grew your own corn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!