Thursday, July 19, 2012

Grand Pee Paw's Oatmeal Cookies

Pin It
Yes, for those of you that know me, go ahead and start making fun.  I called my Grandpa Grand Pee Paw.  He was fun and died when I was way too young.

My Grand Pee Paw helping me hold the new terror of the family:  TONETTE!

Last week my husband and I were fortunate to travel to Hawaii.  Being in the islands reminded me of my Grand Pee Paw because he and my Nana used to live there.  I was fortunate enough to visit them twice when I was a child.  When you are young you don't appreciate your parents or your grandparents.  Looking back now, there are many things I remember and I wish I had appreciated them more while I was visting.

Karrie and Tonette, Grand Pee Paw and me on one of our visits to Hawaii

One of the things I remember about Grand Pee Paw was that he was always in the kitchen.  I remember that he had these HUGE kitchen mixers and he was always making bread.  When I started cooking my mom said I cooked just like him because I didn't clean up after myself as I cooked!

Unfortunately, my Grand Pee Paw was a cook with all of his recipes in his head.  The family has very few recipes of his.  One of the recipes we do have is his recipe for oatmeal cookies. 

My niece, Maria Tortilla, was here visiting and we decided to make his cookies.  Here are the ingredients (I'll post them at the end).


The first thing we did was put 1 cup of shortening in the mixer.  To this we added 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of brown sugar.  Beat this together and add 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 teaspoons molasses.   Mix for 1 minute and add 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ginger.


In another bowl assemble 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 cups oatmeal, 1 cup raisin bran flakes, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 cup raisins, and 1 1/2 cup nuts.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry.


Spoon the mixture onto a baking pan and bake for 13-14 minutes at 350 degrees.  When you take them out of the oven they will not look set.  Don't panic!  As the cookies cool, they will set. 


I remember the first time I made these cookies.  I took them out of the oven, called my mother and told her that there was no way this recipe was right.  She told me to simmer down, as she does in her Bertha way and told me that they would be fine.  She was right (as usual).  Give it a try!

Ingredients:  1 cup shortening
                     1 cup sugar
                     1 cup brown sugar
                     2 eggs
                     1 teaspoon vanilla
                     2 teaspoons molasses
                     1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
                     1 teaspoon salt
                     3 cups oatmeal
                     1 cup raisin bran flakes
                     1 teaspoon baking soda
                     1/2 cup raisins
                     1 1/2 cup nuts
                     1 tablespoon cinnamon
                     1 teaspoon nutmeg
                     1/2 teaspoon ginger


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!