Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Marinara Sauce

Pin It

Italians have to have a few tomato sauce recipes.  This is a recipe inspired by my Sicilian Nonna (grandmother).

Nonna and Nonnu

Are you craving a meatless sauce?  A basic marinara sauce is super easy to throw together!  Here are the ingredients:

2 cans tomato sauce
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup red wine
Salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon each:  parsley, basil, oregano
Dash crushed red pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

In a sauce pan, heat a little olive oil.  Add the onions.  Saute for 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute another minute.  Add the crushed tomatoes, red wine, sugar, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and the rest of the spices.  Let that simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the rest of the tomato sauce.  Let that simmer for another 15 minutes.

I like to serve this sauce with meatballs and pasta. 

If you are interested in a meat sauce, see:  http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2012/07/meat-sauce.html

Mangia!
Foodie Friends Friday

3 comments:

  1. My Great-Great Grandpa was Sicilian, and marinara like this flows through my veins! I love your blog- I read most of it this morning. We will have to trade cooking/soaping stories and tips! Bookmarking this page for sure!
    OutsideAdrianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an Italian/American and my family is from Sicily and Naples. I make my sauce/gravy very similar. It sounds so good, making me grave meatballs now. I'm thinking I will have to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!