Thursday, October 18, 2012

Herbal Salve for Strains, Bruises, Arthritis

Pin It
One of the things that I have been very interested in learning about is herbal medicine.  Yes, I know that modern day medicine is miraculous and I wouldn't change that.  However, I know the God put the things we need on this earth and our ancestors were wise enough to discover some amazing healing properties in the plant life around us.

I am not a doctor and I do not proclaim that you should follow my advice.  It is up to each individual to make his/her own decisions.  In fact, the FDA does not endorse herbal medicine, although doctors in Europe prescribe many herbs to treat many different ailments.

Here is a fact:  I'm getting old!  I have daily pain in my knees and want to do something about it without having surgery.  In my research, I've discovered that the following herbs are useful in treating inflammation, strains, arthritis, etc.

Calendula:  http://www.ageless.co.za/herb-calendula.htm
Comfrey:  http://www.ageless.co.za/herb-comfrey.htm
Arnica:  http://www.ageless.co.za/herb-arnica.htm

To make my salve I used the following ingredients:

2 cups olive oil
1 cup beeswax
1 cup dried calendula, and comfrey
2 eye drops full of arnica oil
Lavender Essential Oil
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Oil
2 Tablespoons glycerin

To begin, I put the olive oil and dried herbs in a sauce pan and let them simmer for a few hours.


The herbs infuse in the oil.  Make sure the heat is on low.......do not the oil get too hot!  After a few hours, strain the herbs out and keep the oil.  When the oil is strained, add the essential oils, glycerin, and arnica oil.  You can add any essential oil that you want.  I used eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender because of their calming effect.  I added tea tree essential oil because of its healing properties:  http://www.aromaweb.com/essential-oils/tea-tree-oil.asp.

Put the oil in a double boiler or use a measuring cup in a pan full of simmering water.  This will keep it hot as you mix the ingredients together.


Add the melted beeswax and mix.  Pour the mixture into clean, sterilized jars and let it cool.  The mixture will harden as it cools.


Not a great picture, but you can already see the mixture starting to harden. 


This recipe is featured on Chic and Craft Party!
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre

5 comments:

  1. Looks great, Jackie - have you tried it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Yes, I have tried it. It has a warming quality to it and feels good. I'm going to increase the amount of arnica, calendula, and comfrey next time to increase the warmth.

      Delete
  2. This sounds heavenly :) Thanks for linking up to The HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/the-homeacre-hop-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post awesome and I am agree with your point herbal is boon for us. It is good source be healthy. Arthritis Herbals

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!