Monday, October 15, 2012

Ode to Julia - Sausage and Cabbage Soup

Pin It
My niece Julia is a great cook and she has definitely inherited the family passion for good food.  My Aunt Trudy told me about a great recipe she got from Julia and she urged me to try it.  I'm always up for a great soup!

One of my favorite pictures of Julia!  She was such
a cute baby, I'm not sure what happened.............
 
 
Julia and I - 1989 (or thereabouts)
 
Karrie, Tonette, Julia and I - 1985 or so
(He He - Look at Tonette's hair)
 


Here are the ingredients for the soup:
 
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound Jimmy Dean (you could use and sausage, Italian etc...), bulk, or removed from casings
1 yellow onion, half sliced and half minced
1 carrot diced
1 celery diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 c Sherry
1 sprig thyme
2 bay leaves
Hefty sprinkle of red pepper flakes (pizza peppers)
1 15-ounce can of white beans (cannellini, Great Northern, or kidney if you prefer), drained
1 c each peas and edamame (if you aren't sure about edamame, then double the peas)
4 c chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
1 pound cabbage, quartered, then sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
 
Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a large (8-quart), thick-bottomed pot. Add the sausage, breaking it up into pieces as you put it into the pot in a single layer. When the sausage has nicely browned, remove it with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the onion, carrots, celery and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add the minced garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Deglaze with sherry. Reduce by 1/3 and add bay leaf and thyme.
 
Add the stock, beans, edamame, peas and browned sausage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, then uncover and add cabbage. Continue cooking until the cabbage is tender, about another 5 minutes.
 

 Julia, this soup was really good.  I must admit, I was worried about sausage and cabbage going together, but the flavor is wonderful!  I love talking with you about recipes and food.  Love your passion and knowledge!  You have turned into a wonderful woman (even though I still think of you as 10).  I am proud to be your aunt (the best one you have.........).
 
 
Enjoy!

 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Are you trying to make me cry!?! Thanks Auntie Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Tonette's hair, hahahaha

    (J/K)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!