Sunday, October 14, 2012

Homemade Pizza

Pin It
When I was little and visited my Nonna, she always had homemade pizza.   However, it wasn't pizza like you and I think of..............it was ANCHOVY pizza! 

My Nonna and Nonnu...........and who is that cute kid?  ME!
 

I have fond memories of that pizza but I won't eat anchovies today................so I decided to figure out if my fond memories were because I liked them or because of my family.

Today's quest:  anchovy pizza

The recipe for the pizza dough:

2 1/4 teaspoons of active yeast
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Put the warm water in the bowl of your mixer.  Attach a dough hook.  Add the yeast and let it activate.  You will know if the yeast is good because it will start to "bubble."  Add the salt and 3 cups of the flour.

Turn the mixer on speed 2.  Slowly add flour.  Stop adding flour when the dough forms on the dough hook.  Put the dough in a oiled bowl and set in a warm place for 2 hours.  Cover the bowl with a towel.  This will allow the dough to rise.

The recipe for the pizza sauce is as follows:

1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon parsley

Let that simmer while the dough is rising.

For me the key to a great pizza is the cheese!  We are lucky in St. Louis, MO because we have provel cheese.  If you have ever had Imo's pizza, that is the cheese they use.  It is the best pizza cheese ever!

For this pizza, I used a mixture of mozzarella and provel cheese.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and you are ready to roll it out.  Put some corn meal on your pizza pan so that the dough doesn't stick.


This big pizza is for a pepperoni pizza.  The little dough in the back is for my anchovy experiment!


Put the dough in the oven 400 degrees and let it start to cook........by doing this you are making sure your dough will be cooked!

After 5 minutes, remove the dough.  Add your sauce, cheese and whatever topping you want.


Bake your pizza in the oven at 400 until the cheese starts to brown.


The back up pizza in case we don't like anchovies!
 
 
I told Jonah about how my Nonna made anchovy pizza and made him try it...........
 
 
 
OK, the truth is.........he refused to try it.  He posed for me but wouldn't put it in his mouth.  And, guess what, after I tried it, I understand!
 
I don't like anchovy pizza!  Good thing I made a pepperoni too!
 
Mangia!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all feedback!